Sunday, October 14, 2012

Today is Sunday, day after Seneca Creek CX.

Tracy is killing the bag.  Kill-Kill-Kill.  Take That.  BAM.
Today was the "Fight for Mike" charity CrossFit workout at our local box, Arenal Fitness.  Tracy needed a workout partner and I was very pleased that she would invite me.  ;-)  While I've been focused on cycling, she's been getting her ARSE in the best shape of her life doing various CrossFit workouts including Striking, Kettlebell, regular CF as well as creating her own CF workouts.  (Some of which she "assigns" to me.  And they are no effin' joke let me tell ya!)


Ropes!  Bad Ass!
To give you an idea of what my tough ass partner is up to while I'm spending endless hours on one of my bicycles - see pix.  Yeah.  That is my toughie.

All I have to say is her first CF competition is November 18th.  Yeah baby, I'll be there with mad cowbell and crazy cheer.  Mom's coming out too.  I've been training my vocal chords T, I'm bringing my A+ crazy cheer game.  Can't wait to see what you bring to that event.  You are awesome!

Anyway.  Tracy is awesome.  This weekend I knew I had only one race so I agreed to spend a Sunday, my first in a longgggggggggggg time, off the bike.  I made the right choice.

The Last Week:   
This past week has been tough.  9 races, 5 weekends.  Performance ok by the #s but I knew I was digging a hole.   Question was:   Was I knee high?  Hip high?   Response:  stop digging or pay the price.   I was so tired this week.  When my enthusiasm wanes and I find myself staring into space with minimal brain wave action, I know I'm in a hole.  

A friend said:  Jen, most people have a caution flag along the path of exhaustion.   You on the other hand, not so much.  By the time your inner voices begin speaking a "slow down" message, you're experiencing what most people would call a serious RED FLAG moment.

Anyway.  red flag, yellow flag.  I'm slowing down....or trying to...

The Race:  
C3 Bad Kat and Me.  Call me Snot Rocket? :)
Seneca Creek CX was awesome.  2 sand pits.  2 sets of barriers.  What felt like 200 turns.  Sunny day.  Mom cheering.  Lots of C3 ladies and a few C3 boys came out.  

My body:  still tired.
 
No special hugs on this week's podium, boo!  :) Laura on top.
I decided to do the race despite my fatigue this week.  Still glad I did.  THere were 9 elite women on the grid.  the start was a downhill grass straightaway into 2 turns and some off cambers.  BF launched herself off the start like a rocket and I grabbed her wheel.  2 turns in and I made a break for the lead-out into the first set of barriers.  Took the lead, hopped the barriers and began charging the backside of the course. I looked back, no one.  Huh????   Bad Kat, fellow C3-er, said she did some blocking but WTF?!!  I was leading with a gap.  Man, sometimes it just seems like following is an easier bet for me.   Anyway I led through the backside back up through the 2nd set of barriers and out onto the "other backside" of the course toward the start.  Bad Kat was on my wheel with Laura Murray 3rd.  Laura's a powerhouse.  Even with her cracked helmet (do I have a concussion?) pre-ride episode, she applied her mega-watts and overtook both me and Bad Kat for the lead.  Yeah, while we chased, she stayed out in front and built up what would be a 1 min gap to the finish.

Thanks Joe's Bike Shop for a great race
Bad Kat hung on my wheel for a bit before she made her break.  Kat charged and I didn't grab the wheel.  While I tried to close that 10-20 sec gap the whole race, the gap neither gained nor lesssened.  Bad Kat is a fellow CF-er a bit more experienced than me but man she's been working hard and it's awesome to see her perform.  Way to go Bad Ass Kat!  
Anyway, I rode well.  4th was more than a minute behind me.  The whole race field spread out pretty good.  I am pleased with my bike handling.  The corners, off cambers, riding the sand pits, clean barriers, standing.  YEah, it was good.  But overall it felt C+/B- to me.  Why:  fatigue.

So Sunday:
So sometimes you need perspective and well I received a big dose of that yesterday.
  • a dear friend and fellow cyclist was hospitalized yesterday.  Blood clot in the brain.  Long story short, she was out for a long road ride, began feeling symptoms, she/friend called me, they were blessed by Universe to receive special help, arrived hospital in ENOUGH time to MAKE A LIFE LONG DIFFERENCE.   Yeah.  Sometimes too many things come together to call it a mere coincidence.  Call it good Karma.  Call it spirit guides working overtime.  I'll call it:  close call with pure awesome ending...although it's not quite over.  Yeah.   So after racing, i was at the hospital.  I usually sweat into a panic attack entering hospitals.  T too.  But not so bad this go around.  As we walked into the room for our visit, my friend's spirit, while tired, lit up the room.  Some people just shine, she shines.  Friend, while you had a crazy day, you still put some energy back into me.  You know what I mean.  You are special sauce sweet positive blend of energies.  Glad to have met ya.  Glad to have you around for awhile longer. 
This friend and the end of week lesson reminded me of my beginning of week start.  I'm tired.  While cycling lights up my life, it is not everything.  Life is short.  Life can be unexpectedly short.  I can wear myself into a hole or I can pace myself and pull back on the Jen reins.  

While I'll never be a "chill" sit still person,  I am focused on all the blessings I have in my life.  Amazing partner, awesome health, great family, sweet-sweet-sweet life.  Very grateful.

At the end of this day and the end of this week:
  • I have my feet up.  
  • I have my closest loved ones very close, furballs DEF included.  
  • And I will ensure I rest up over the coming weeks so that I can continue to race hard, play hard, and give my best in the many areas of my life.

Peace.   Thanks for reading.


1 comment: