Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Post Cancun remembering how to race...

Cancun:
So last I wrote I was heading to Cancun for a 3 night 4 day vacation.   Needless to say Cancun was amazing and as most of you already know, Hurricane Sandy ensured we had the full rest and recovery we needed.  We arrived Friday and had planned on departing Monday.   Sandy kept us in Cancun for an extra 2 nights.   Sign from the Universe, maybe?!






Post-Cancun, Back to the Daily Grind:
#1, returning to reality is so freaking hard.   But based on the suggestion of friends/colleagues, it was important to create a safe word.  This safe word would allow them an opportunity to remind me to return to my "vacation calm state." 

When I hear said safe word, I must return to the blissful, Zen-like, peaceful state that I created while in Cancun.   Yeah, sounds easy eh?   So to track my performance post-Cancun, I created two metrics:
1.  How many times was the safe word used?  Ha!
And 2. How long could I maintain the post-Cancun Zenlike state?"

Well all jokes aside, I returned from paradise and I'm doing my best to keep that calm.  Still trying now almost 2 weeks post-Cancun.

1st Race Back:   local race, Patapsco Cross.   Saturday 11/3  (Sunday, I had no race)


 Highlights:
  • wearing our C3 halloween skinsuit.  Yes it's colorful!
  • Freezing my tuckus off.   From Paradise to 30 degree weather
  • Thinking:  "I left my legs in Cancun"
  • Thinking:  "Why exactly do I love this racing stuff so much?  Really why do I do this...?  Ha"
Best part of day might have been the lunch and "defrost" my body afterward.


 Thursday 11/8:   best way to re-charge your enthusisam --> BUY A NEW BAD ARSE CROSS BIKE.



 Highlights:
This has been something I was toying with for 2013 but felt it "right" to accelerate this purchase IF my team could find me a 49c frame.  They did. (Of course they did!)  End of story.

HUGE SMILE.
 And yes, my enthusiasm TANK is seriously re-charged!




Full Weekend of Racing:   Yes, Post-Cancun Jen is gone.  Crazy Race Girl Jen is back.  SMILE!  I'll have another opportunity for Cancun Jen, maybe January, right T?

Saturday Fairhill, MD - MAC race:









Highlights:


  • new warmup strategy c/o A. :-)
  • Brand new bike.  Sweet!
  • Why did I change my start strategy and clip my right foot in?  I never do that!  I always use my left foot.  Always.  Must've been distracted by the new bike bling!
  • Lois cheering on the sidelines.  Thanks for coming cousin!
  • Smiling the ENTIRE last lap of the race.  Priceless.
  • Fun pix post-race thanks to Mom!!!
  • 12th place finish out of 20 crazy fast ladies.  It was fun.  Legs still aren't quite back from Cancun but they are getting there.
  • D's awesome CinBun and pumpkin cookies.  full gluten.  Yes, I am learning to bend some...in the name of sugar and teammates, sometimes you just gotta live!



 Race #2 Sunday, Schooley Mill CX.


Highlights:

  • Tracy came to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And cheer and inspire me to work harder!!!!!
  • Brand new bike.  Sweet!   Yes the same highlight and had to say it again.  This bike rules!!!!!!!!
  • Smaller field but decent start. 
  • Found 4th position and held it the entire race to the end.   Tried to chase down JM but just couldn't close that 5-10 second gap.   
  • Fun post-race pix with the race-gals.  Makes it fun.
  • Post race Great Sage!!!!!
  • Loki the Cat entertainment session.   Reminded that I love my "adult" cats.  Kittens are craycray.
And looking forward.   More VO2 intervals this week.  Next time, I must close that gap.  






2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your trip to Cancún. As you say, sometimes the return to work from such places can be hard. I hope you have the chance to go there again, you can also do some underwater tours and excursions to keep up the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points!
    mexico cancun

    ReplyDelete