Monday, June 2, 2014

Bear Creek Rocks

Bear Creek XC Race

Bear Creek is a ski resort located East of Reading PA and will be hosting the 2014 Cross Country (XC) Mountain Bike National Championships July 19th.
Earlier this year,  I put the July Nationals race on my calendar.   #1, it is at Bear Creek which is only 2+ hours from Baltimore and #2, it is a National race and why not join my fellow 35-39 Category 1 age groupers in a July hot and humid summer race.  It'd be an experience.

I made the trip up one day early to stay with my Cousin Gail and her husband, Jay.   They live about 10 minutes from Bear Creek and were generous enough to host me for another race  (Last year, they hosted me for Nittany CX).  Jay, Gail, and I were able to hang out and spend Saturday evening eating fun naughty foods like beer-battered french fries and then chasing them down with a few local ales that were on tap....  Thanks Guys!

The Race:
The Cat-1 racers had to complete 3 seven mile laps consisting of two climbs, a few brief flat sections, and two descents.  Rocks lined the course, pretty much everywhere.

My Map and Statistics by Lap:


Since this June 1st race was a Natz Qualifier, we were divided into age groups (vs. a  Mass start).  The Less than 40s went off first followed by the Over 40s.

The start included a grass uphill prologue followed by a fire road climb into a single track that climbed a ridge leading into the woods.  From there, it was more climbing and rocks!

Photo Credit - Cati's Awesome Photographer Bill White
Into the Woods:
Photo Bill White, thanks Again!

 And MORE ROCKS!

Note, I'm now bleeding....and my arms are tired!!!

Summary:
  • Man, I climbed well but those rocky descents were tough...
  • Some of those girls KNOW how to descend, I need more practice!!
  • Ride loose, wide legs, wide arms, wide legs, wide arms.  Barbossa re-enacted these postures post-race.  She's a nut.  Love her.
  • PS: that over 40 Barbossa (2nd) and Mertz (1st) crushed that course, bad arse over 40s.  Dammmmn.
  • Jessica Hill had a great race, finally.  You deserve it lady.  Way to go.  I was trying to catch you but you were descending faster.  Well done.
  • Cati, I felt pretty good for being a "mere mortal."  *wink*
  • I'm glad I made the trip.  It was a great practice race in preparation for Natz and by the 3rd and final lap, I was starting to get the flow of the rocks.   Hopefully I'll get a practice session in with Cati before the big race.
  • and PS:  no mud.  tee-hee

No comments:

Post a Comment