Monday, August 25, 2014

Fairhill 40 miler Endurance race - my Last Race before the Shenandoah 100 MTB race

Fairhill Summary:
  • Great, aggressive start with solid positioning
  • Avoided early race wrecks
  • Followed Chris Lane, teammate, for solid start of race (so cool)
  • I was in 2nd place and caught by Katrina D. approaching aid station.  She had about a 40-60 sec gap on me...a gap I was going to try my best to close...
At 2nd aid station, I stopped for a HEED drink.  I swear volunteers pointed me to the trail on the right...needless to say, I went off course for 3 miles (1.5 out, 1.5 back) and lost time. GRRRRrrr.
  • Tillmanator was in full effect at this point.  I knew I lost more than a few places.  I could see women (new women) ahead now and revved by little Jen-engine leaving nothing behind.  I knew this race strategy (Or insanity) could leave me crippled later as I still had 20 more miles to race but I decided I had to try to catch.
  • In first 20 minutes, I caught and gapped three women.  But how many were ahead?
  • A little later I came across Missy.  She is awesome and had just completed the multi-day MTB stage race in Breckenridge, CO.  Her legs, according to her, were tired...but I'd say she was riding very well.  I passed her on a climb but 5-10 minutes later, she was back.   I let her lead awhile and really enjoyed riding right on her rear wheel. She is a smooth rider, very skilled.   That was probably the most fun I had in the race.  Woot.
  • My quads, calves, feet were throbbing.  Cramps were imminent but I was going to let them slow me down.  I knew I'd have to make a solid push to escape Missy and work my way to finish but I also knew I could explode at any point especially if I revved my engine too high.
  • I continued to follow Missy.
  • Knowing there were only 2 miles or less to the finish, I made my move and attacked on a climb.  It felt like an attack but probably looked like a bike jog (ha).  Regardless, I gave it everything I had.  My quads did cramp but I just kept pedaling.
  • I reached deeper than I ever have to pedal during those cramps.  It was excruciating.  I didn't look back but kept my pure focus on seeing the finish line.
  • And well, I made it.
I went off-course mid race and lost 3rd.  Moved to 7th.  And by the end, I made my way back to 3rd.  I would say that was a huge win for me that day.

Cheers and thanks for reading.


New GoPro Footage below

The Start:  http://youtu.be/r9x6MEnrghk

Fairhill Singletrack: http://youtu.be/JjIIx-Ze9LM


Quick shout out to Sam Hoffenberger, teammate, who put on his first Time Trial (TT) race in our own Baltimore County Sunday (day after Fairhill).  The entire team came out to help and the race was a huge success.   It was the perfect after-race day for me hanging out with my awesome teammates and giving back to the race community.   I made sure no one missed my turn!  And had a ton of fun cheering on the field.  Way to go Sam.  Go Joe's Bike Shop Racing Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment