Monday, July 7, 2014

the Epic Challenge, the Patapsco 66


The Patapsco 100 mile race is going to be known as the hardest 100 mile race in the country.   Next year (2015), this race officially becomes part of the NUE series (national ultra endurance MTB race series). 

The 100 mile consists of 3x33 mile laps.  Brutal climbing @ 5500 feet per lap.  Nearly 95% singletrack, classic punchy technical midatlantic terrain.  

This race is for the hardcore and therefore, AFC (Adventures for the Cure - race team sponsor) puts on four races to ensure everyone has the right race challenge for the day:   

  • the 100
  • the 66 (or 100K)
  • the 33
  • and the 22



Race Summary in a few bullets:
 
Morning Inspirational Card
  • Turtle def wins the race.   This was a great opportunity to apply a new strategy.  I had to focus on pace, on holding back and not going into the anaerobic pain cave that I am accustomed to .... for me, focusing on this strategy guaranteed I could go the distance and feel pretty damn good while doing so.  
  • So basically, I stayed in my Endurance/Tempo zones.  kept threshold to a minimum and avoided the land of Anaerobia.  It meant I walked a few steep sections or climbed delicately and slowly.   
  • It also meant I felt great the entire race.  I never cramped. I never ran out of energy.  In fact, I was able to kick up it HARD the last 10 miles and empty the tank.
  • I never hit a "dark place"
  • I smiled into the finish
  • I ended up going faster overall than I had projected.  I was aiming for 9hrs or more.  I finished in 8h10m total time, 7h55m moving time.  Faster than my pre-race training rides.  Yeah, there are a few lessons this race has taught me.
  • Smiling into the Finish, Yah!
  • I think I may just love endurance a bit.   I love to go as fast as I can (XC, 'cross) but this type of sport really offers a solid balance for me.   It is teaching me to be the Turtle.  I dig that.

 Mentions: 
  • Volunteers at the aid stations were amazing.  My brain never functions quite right during races and they never seemed to mind.  I'd take in a huge mouth of peanut M&Ms and try to communicate, yeah sorry!  The Volunteers were awesome and attentive, thank-you!
    Podium w

    Trail Building Legend, Ed Dixon
  • Teammates.  My teammates are amazing.  They train with me.  They push me.  They get my quirks and they love me anyway.  Kudos to my Joe's teammates. So many of you were on the podium. 
  • Tracy.  She just totally gets me and gives me room to live the cycling life.   Thanks Tracy, you're my rock.
  • Tillmanator prime supporter Allyson Jordan was there at the finish to hold me up and show support.  Thanks Ally.
  • Ethan, thanks for the personal help at the race and being a wise bike mechanic.  Your saturday support guaranteed my bike was ready for race day.  I seriously appreciate all that you do for me.   Beer gift time!  What's your desired flavor of the week?
  • Wrona and Jenn from AFC, thanks for helping me at the pit between lap 1 and 2.  
  • Joe, thank-you for everything you do for me.  You and your shop take the best care of the team. 
  • Kathleen and Chris Lane - I always think of you two first for encouraging me to get into Endurance in '14. ;-)
  • Rittler.  You're awesome and very inspiring to me as well.  I love our race strategy exchanges.  And I love how you seem to balance so many demands - work, family, fun, etc.  You're an example to all of us.  And you are always smiling.
  • Newell.  Your plan is working.  Thanks for keeping me focused and being a friend on top of it.
  • Hellmers with two Ls, Brian Wilkerson, Jeff Brown, Carla the Crusher, and Greg Gavin --- thanks for being willing to push my limits on the WNDWs pain cave or elsewhere.  It helps and I love to suffer with all of you.
  • Brian W - way to go.  Glad I get to train with you regularly.  You're a ss killer.  
  • Hellmers.  You have soooooo much fun pushing yourself....and i always think you have more in the gas tank.  Animal.  Rigid SS hardcore.  Way to keep your handlebars in tact for this race ;-)  And I really appreciate all the smiles and encouragement out on the course. 


for those interested in the data, here are the stats:

I ordered up a bunch of tempo with a nice side of endurance.  Finished off with just the right dollop of threshy at key points ... no cherry on top (z5+), not for this race.










1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts. It's like traveling to a foreign country but without the jet lag

    ReplyDelete